Considering the activity focus of Sonha, Faz e Acontece’ the volunteers of the Project Principe 2014 established new goals for this year.
Principe is a special and exciting place, but where shortages abound all around.
Considering the activity focus of Sonha, Faz e Acontece the volunteers of the Project Principe 2014 established as a main objectives for this year the performance of the following activities:
1. Xináa Fogáa (“Learn to Play”) summer camp – organization of a summer camp for 90 children, with different educational and ludic activities;
2. Gravana school – continuing training / education in English, entrepreneurship, geography, science and arts, and organization of workshops on basic health care, needlework, journalism, photography, among others;
3. Roça de São Joaquim’s intervention – comprehensive intervention in that roça, including, among other activities, an after-school recreation center, workshops for basic health care, maternal and fetal care sessions, hypertension and diabetes screening programs, guidance and career support sessions and the reconstruction of a health center;
4. Regional reading plan – distribution of books in several roças of the Island, promoting reading and interpretation, combined with artistic expressions;
5. SFA at school – development of civic education sessions in several school of the Island during school hours;
6. Professions open day – organization of professions fair in the Island capital, the city of Santo António;
7. Príncipe newspaper – implementation of a circuit of information collection and dissemination of news within the roças of the Island;
8. Reconstruction of the sports field – requalification of the only sports field in the city of Santo António that allows children to play other sports different from football, notably basketball, volleyball and athletics.
18 volunteers will be performing these projects during 3 months. For more information of the Príncipe Project 2014, please see our blog.
The crowdfunding campaign will end on July 18, since our volunteers depart to the Island of Principe on July 19. Over the last 9 months, the volunteers organized several fundraising activities and have raised near € 5,000.00. Therefore, our goal is to raise the required amount to perform all the activities, i.e., € 2,200.00.
Please note that this is the second time that SFA is financed through this crowdfunding platform. In 2013, Project Príncipe 2013 was able to raise all the required amount to rebuilt the Roça Abade school (also in the Island of Príncipe).