The educational program Brave at Faia will allow us to receive schools from across the country. So far, ATN has developed one day school programs, which, due to travel time, ...
The educational program Brave at Faia will allow us to receive schools from across the country. So far, ATN has developed one day school programs, which, due to travel time, was only accessible to local schools.
What we hope to accomplish with this programme, and for that we are asking for support, is is to acquire 6 safari tents, so that we can receive school groups overnight. The experience of sleeping outside and exploring the reserve at night will be a unique opportunity for many children.
Brave at Faia is a fusion between an existing need and an area with a lot to offer. We would like to give schools the opportunity to create activities which encourage experience in nature, using different disciplines and in line with their school curriculum.
At ATN we have the human resources and flexibility to create and support programs tailored to the needs of each school group.
Among several activities that can be tailored, we offer:
1. Theme walks
- Guided walk of the flora and fauna of the Coa
- Time travel – from the Upper Palaeolithic to the present day
- The hidden mysteries of the night: animals, noises, lights and stars
- The geological secrets of Faia Brava
2. Wildlife watching
- Large birds of prey
- Field birds and forest birds
- Feeding vultures
- Identifying invertebrates
3. Practical workshops
- Nature photography
- Discovering animal tracks
- Building nest boxes
- Tree planting and nursery maintenance
4. Educational games
- Treasure hunt
- The Bonelli’s Eagle Hunt
- The web – the role of each element in the ecosystem