CORDÃO intends to launch its pilot project to finance professional support for low-income women and needs your support!
CORDÃO was born in May 2021, on instagram, as a way to break with the loneliness and the silence inherent to the process of having, or not having, children of our own.
In an innovative format, CORDÃO started as a community journal about the process of having or not having children, open to all people through the practice of writing and reading. The main goals were initiallly:
- Promoting reflection and inviting dialogue;
- Welcoming all experiences with empathy and without judgment;
- Increasing the representation of diverse people and experiences;
- Creating a safe and solidary environment for sharing;
- Raising awareness for all the challenges involved in the process of having children.
CORDÃO has grown quickly to become an inclusive, participative and revolutionary digital community, providing a wide range of diverse experiences and realities with a space where their voices are heard and their stories are seen through the hundreds of written personal, honest testimonies that have been reaching us. No hierarchy, no judgment: we welcome all voices, all perspectives.
From instagram to the world, CORDÃO has a website where received essays are published; promotes regular in person meet-ups; stimulates dialogue through a server on discord; has a directory and map of professionals and services recommended by CORDÃO members; built a collaborative map of babyfriendly/accessible places; has a directory for disclosing business for people with children and a monthly feminist book club where books written by women are read and debated.
With almost 20k followers, CORDÃO is an observatory of the experiences and needs of in Portugal, playing a relevant role on normalizing diversity and pluralism with no taboos,no lectures, just an infinite compilation of perspectives on the subject. A collective hug. A mirror. A refuge.
The CORDÃO community has allowed us to understand that despite the positive impact of digital communities in the current context, there are gaps in the professional support offered to people beyond the most privileged groups in our society. It is also clear there is a long way to go when it comes to the sharing of quality information and defense of pregnant people's rights and postpartum women and children.
Because we are so aware of the current needs, we believe CORDÃO can not stop here!
1. NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. To respond to the current gap and become active in the defence of the rights all women and pregnant people and postpartum women and people, CORDÃO has become a Non-Profit Organization whose goals are:
To promote high quality information and literacy on all topics related to one’s health;
- To defend the rights of all women and pregnant people, as well as all those experiencing postpartum;
To develop support networks (in partnership with other existing organizations and entities);
- To finance access to the support of a high quality professional network to all women, pregnant people and all those experiencing postpartum, who live in unfavorable economic conditions.
2. UMA A UMA PROJECT
a) PILOT PROJECT PILOT-PROJECT the creation of a financed high quality professional support network in the areas of breastfeeding/lactation, mental health and legal right, for a limited group of underserved people who are either pregnant or experiencing postpartum in the metro areas of Lisbon and Porto.
b) INFORMATIONAL PUBLICATIONS both digital and hard copied, with helpful, well structured information, which is not always broadly distributed on a wide range of topics relevant to the journey from pregnancy to postpartum.
On the long run, UMA A UMA, aims to become a reference on the facilitation and coordination of a high quality technical and scientific support network, specialized in reproductive and women’s health and rights. One at the time (UMA a UMA), we believe it is possible to reach all underserved people in Portugal in these areas, or others.
3. BOOK CLUB. Management of a free book club, open to all people.
4. COMMUNITY LIBRARY. Ideation and launch of the next project of CORDÃO.
For all this, CORDÃO needs you and your support.
CORDÃO is everyone’s, for everyone.