We dream and make education and sustainable development happen in Portuguese-speaking African countries.
We dream and make education and sustainable development happen at the African Portuguese-speaking countries.
This is Sonha, Faz e Acontece mission and Project Principe 2016 is another step towards that goal. We are going back to Principe for the fifth year in a row and during four months we will be implementing activities that urge to respond to that community's needs.
We highlight the following activities:
1. Xináa Fogáa (“Learn how to play”) Summer Camp – around 100 children will be taking part of our Summer Boot Camp with leisure and training activities;
2. Gravana School – continuous training for youngsters from 12 years old onwards in the following subjects: Portuguese, English, Spanish, Computer Science, Nature Science and Maths;
3. Rebuilding the library and the school’s canteen at Porto Real – renovating Porto Real’s school library with new dictionaries and school books and improving the room where students have their meals;
4. Public space cleaning campaigns – organizing deep cleaning campaigns at the Porto Real and Évora beach settlements and involving the community;
5. School gardens – monitoring the Porto Real’s school garden, created with Príncipe Project in 2015, aiming at developing local agriculture and farming habits for community use;
6. Traineeships – promoting short internships for youngsters from 16 up to 18 years old, partnering with companies implemented on the island of Príncipe;
7. Entrepreneurship Competition – conducting mentoring sessions and follow-up business ideas developed by local entrepreneurs and financially supporting to two winning ideas, as well as providing remote monitoring;
8. Gravana University – continuing education in Management and Marketing, Development and Sustainable Tourism, Portuguese, English and Computer Science aimed at youngsters/young adults from 16 years old onwards.
Projects will be developed in the field by a team of 25 volunteers: 21 Portuguese volunteers and 4 Príncipe locals, from July till October. For more information about the Project please check out blog (portuguese only).