We dream and make education and sustainable development happen in Portuguese-speaking African countries.
This is Sonha, Faz e Acontece mission and Project Principe 2015 is another step towards that goal. We will return to Principe for the fourth year in a row and this year we will be there for four months. During this time we will implement several activities designed to address the persistent shortages of the island and its inhabitants.
Among those activities, we point out:
1. Xináa Fogáa (“Learn how to play”) summer camp – organization of a summer camp for 100 children, with different educational and ludic activities;
2. Principe Languages Center – renovation of a classroom in one of Santo Antonio’s schools and supply of dictionaries and handbooks in several languages;
3. Reconstruction of Heath Community Center in Roça Abade – rebuilding of that roça’s health center, with a population of around 120 inhabitants, half of which are children;
4. Gravana school – continuing training and education for young kids from 12 to 16 years old in English, Spanish, Entrepreneurship, Science, Math, IT, Finance, Tax, Law, Communication and Advertising;
5. Intervention in the hospital’s pediatric waiting room – renovation of a room in the city hospital to provide a nice and comfortable place for children and their families when they need medical care in those facilities;
6. Professions Open Day – organization of a professions fair in the island capital, the city of Santo Antonio.
7. Entrepreneurship contest – mentor and monitor sessions for entrepreneurs with viable business ideas and provide financial support to the two winning ideas;
8. Gravana University – continuing education in areas like Management, Health and IT directed to people aged 16 and more.
All these projects will be developed by 24 volunteers (20 Portuguese and 4 from Principe) between July and October. For more information about Project Principe 2015, please visit our blog (only in Portuguese).