The campaign aims to enable the recording and editing of the album "Big Band Junior embraces Sassetti". It is the 3rd album of BBJ and it has 100% Portuguese repertoire.
In 2018, the country's youngest jazz orchestra rehearsed a 100% Portuguese repertoire, dedicated mainly to the music of Bernardo Sassetti, with the aim of making his music known to the younger generations, and complemented by themes and arrangements of other Portuguese composers.
For this "hug to Sassetti", BBJ invited the singer Rita Maria and also Inês Laginha and Filipe Raposo, both pianists and composers.
The debut of the project that in April 2018 almost sold out the main hall of the São Luiz Teatro Municipal surprised us all by the elegance of the music, by the strength of the arrangements, by the magic brought by the guests, but above all by the maturity with which this group of young musicians seized the music of Bernardo Sassetti and the music of other composers.
Thus was born the desire to record on disc this special moment of the life of the orchestra. Despite being the 3rd album by BBJ, it is the first time that the great majority of these young musicians record a record in a professional environment, and for many it is the fulfillment of a dream and a 'giant step'.
The disc repertoire includes 6 songs by Bernardo Sassetti and 5 songs by other Portuguese composers, including a commission to Inês Laginha.
- PESCARIA | B. Sassetti
- MALI M'BULE BAABA | mus: B. Sassetti; arr: Claus Nymark
- OLHAR | music: Bernardo Sassetti; arr: Carlos Azevedo
- QUANDO VOLTA O ENCANTO | mus: B. Sassetti; arr: Filipe Melo
- ALGUMAS COISAS NÃO MUDAM | mus: B. Sassetti; arr: F. Melo
- EM DIAS CONSECUTIVOS | lyrics: Sérgio Godinho; mus: B. Sassetti; arr: Filipe Raposo
- I LEFT MY HEART IN ALGÂNDAROS DE BAIXO | mus: B. Sassetti; arr: Filipe Raposo / Rita Maria
- NO FUNDO DOS ESPELHOS | letter: S. Mello Breyner; music / arr: Inês Laginha
- AZUL É O MAR | Nazaré da Silva; music: Carlos Bica / F. Möbus; Ar: Cl. Nymark
- ONDE MORA O MUNDO | letter: JP Simões; music: Afonso Pais; arr: Rui Teixeira
- SEJA UM CAMINHO AZUL | Lyrics: Pedro Esteves; music / arr: João Godinho
"Bernardo would have liked to listen to this record, and to know how much we learned and how much fun we had" (Manuel, saxophone, 16 years)
"Without a doubt, the experience of recording such a record will be marked for my life!" (Tomás, drums, 19 years old)
"This record is important to show people that jazz is for all ages." (Inês, piano, 14 years)
"Fabulous repertoire, and totally Portuguese!" (Henry, trumpet, 13 years old)
"It's really important for us to keep Bernardo Sasseti's music alive." (Frederick, clarinet, 15 years)
"This record is important, not only for BBJ, but for Portuguese music. Your contribution is precious!" (Álvaro, saxophone, 16 years old)
Photos © Estelle Valente / São Luiz Teatro Municipal